Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I want to work and live in Australia, is it possible to have dual citizenship from the US and Australia


I want to work and live in Australia, is it possible to have dual citizenship from the US and Australia?
I'm a Mehanical Engineer with International work experience, originally from Honduras, but became a US citizen in 1986.
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The US does not recognize dual citizenship.
2 :
Just move there, if you can. I plan on retiring there because this country is going to hell in a hand basket.
3 :
My younger brother moved from the U.S. and picked up Australian citizenship. He still pays taxes in this country, because he is still a U.S. citizen. His tax bill there didn't change when he became a citizen.
4 :
I am an Aussie living in the US. My understanding is that if I apply for US citizenship I can retain my Aussie one. I already have Dual Nationality (British/Aussie) so I know for sure it is not a problem from Australia's point of view, the only thing you would have to worry about is the US. I seriously doubt the US would cancel your citizenship if you gained Australian citizenship. Good luck!






Read more discussions :